Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tri-color Quinoa Stir Fry


I've been on a health kick trying to lose my last 30 lbs (I've lost 50 so far in the past 2 years... most of it in the space of 10 months or so) and I'm gluten free, so quinoa is an increasing staple in my diet. I had a whole lb. of it in my cupboard, and then happened to see a twitter post by Jaime Alexander of "Thor" fame with a delicious looking dish of so many gorgeous colors and happened to have quinoa, as well as what looked to be an excellent combination of flavors. So I used her dish as an inspiration for this one.

Tri-Color Quinoa Stir Fry
2.5 c. uncooked tri-color quinoa
1 small red onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
1/2 16 oz. can black beans, drained
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. garlic powder or 2 cloves regular garlic, minced
sea salt to taste

Cook quinoa per directions. (You can cook quinoa in a rice cooker, I did! Google for cooking times and double your water at least). Next, warm oil in a large skillet or pan then throw in the red onion, carrot, bell pepper, red cabbage, throw in spices too and saute until cooked tenderly. When the quinoa is finished, add it to the skillet or pan along with the black beans and mix thoroughly being sure it's heated through. Taste and season until it's yummy and then serve! Yields about 8 servings.

Ratings from the Experts*: 10/10 for Vegetarian fare. My picky-eater hubby even said this was delicious, and it's great for making if you need something to eat throughout the week for lunches. It's very low calorie, running about 290 calories per serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment