Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 1: Recipe 2- Crusted Baked Summer Squash


I had a quandary...four yellow summer squash that were soon to be nearing the dark moldy abyss. I didn't know what to do with them since I just cooked their stuffed counterparts last week, so I started looking up recipes online and found a couple that I liked the sound of. Never being a fan of steamed squash (not enough flavor) I was looking for something easy but different. I came across Southern Baked Yellow Squash on Allrecipes.com but something was missing from the equation. Here's what I came up with.

Crusted Baked Summer Squash
What you'll need:
4 yellow summer squash
2 egg whites

1 c dry bread crumbs
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the ends off the summer squash and cut into 1/4" thick medallions. Boil squash in a large saucepan for 12 minutes, covered. Squash should be soft and pliable when done. Drain, then mix in 2 egg whites, making sure squash are well coated.

In a large freezer bag, toss in bread crumbs, Parmesan, flour, oregano, salt, and pepper and shake until well mixed. Once mixed, empty squash medallions into the freezer bag and shake until all the medallions are well coated with the mixture. Empty bag contents into a greased 9 x 12 baking dish and distribute into a thin, even layer. (It won't look pretty, but I promise, the taste is worth it.) Bake for 1 hour until browned on top.

Here's the finished product. Now you see why that's not at the top of the post. Ha!

Ratings from the Experts*: for squash 9/10. I might try adding some onions next time but it's got a very full-bodied flavor.UPDATE: This does not save well. It's best to eat in one meal. The breadcrumbs tend to get soggy when refrigerated.



No comments:

Post a Comment