Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 2: Salsa Cube Steaks


I raised an eyebrow at my husband when he brought home a package of cube steaks from the grocery store the other day, but I shouldn't be surprised considering the fact that every time I send him somewhere for something he always comes back with more than I asked him to. Most of his extracurricular selections are suspect, but some of them are quite genius and inspire me to search for new recipes. I think this was more of the latter!

I love Mexican food, but I also dislike the effect of beans on my husband so I found a happy medium with this vaguely Mexican concoction. Like anything else, smothering it in cheese makes it better, so I added that to the recipe, but I followed everything else to the letter except for some small preferential things like dicing instead of slicing the veggies.

Salsa Cube Steaks
What you'll need:
1 lb. pkg. cube steaks
1/2 t. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
8 oz. salsa
2/3 c shredded cheese  (I used taco cheese)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the steaks in a 9 x 13" baking dish season both sides of steaks with cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Scatter diced onion and bell pepper over the steaks, smother with salsa, and cover with foil.

Bake for 30-40 minutes. (I added the cheese about 20 minutes into baking so it wouldn't get overdone.)


Rating from the Experts*: 9/10 It's incredibly quick, simple and smells yummy! The cumin brings out a rich flavor I wasn't expecting. Great when paired with rice (and/or beans if you don't mind the aftereffects).










































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment