Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 3: Jam/Jelly Muffins


I've been craving carb-y sweets all week, so I found this lovely recipe to satisfy my appetite without adding inches to my hips. It's a very low fat recipe but it doesn't taste like diet food, which I like.

One ironic element is that despite this recipe originally being called 'Jam Muffins', I didn't have any jam, so I used the very last dredges from our grape jelly jar. (I really think it's time to go to the store considering we're out of nearly everything.)



Jam Muffins
What you'll need:
2 cups flour
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup skim milk
5 tsp jam (jelly) of your choice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin tray with cooking spray. Beat egg whites, vanilla extract and sugar for 1 minute in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, add the baking soda to the applesauce and wait for it to froth up. When it does, add it to the egg/sugar mix. Stir in the milk. Fold in all of the flour at one time until just combined - don't beat as the muffins will be tough. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of mixture into each muffin cup, top with a 1/2 tsp of jam, cover with another dollop of mix, and bake for 15-20 minutes.

When reheating these muffins, just be careful because the jam/jelly filling gets hot. Yields about a 1 dozen muffins. 

Rating from the Expert*: 7/10. I'd probably make them again, but definitely worth getting a tasty jam. It's very much a breakfast dish, and should be warmed up and served slathered with margarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment