Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 1- Muffin Omelets



After nearly croaking at the idea of using a dozen eggs for one recipe, I quickly started liking this once I saw how easy it was to put together.  Between an oftentimes whining toddler and my phone ringing, I have a need for speed when it comes to recipes. This is so simple. Throw everything in a bowl, mix it up, divide, and conquer...er...bake!

A note on taking the Omelets out of the muffin pan, it's easy to get them out whole if you knife around the edges of the cup, then scoop it out with a large spoon.

I also think this will freeze well, but I will update later if for some crazy reason it doesn't.

UPDATE: They freeze and reheat very well! 1 minute in the microwave warms them up nicely.




Muffin Omelets (adapted from Egg Muffins at Allrecipes.com)
What you'll need:
12 eggs
1/2 c Skim milk
1/2 med. tomato
1/2 med. onion
bell pepper (I used half of one)
1-4 oz. can of mushroom pieces
6 slices of bacon
1/2 c shredded cheese
2 cloves of garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. thyme

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon, then in a large bowl beat eggs and milk together until well blended. Dice tomato, onion, bell pepper, and bacon and add into egg mixture, then adding mushrooms and mixing well. Fold in cheese, then mix in garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme until evenly mixed.

Spoon mixture into greased muffin pan by 1/3 cupfuls. Bake in oven for 30-35 mins, checking center with a knife until done. Yields 12 servings.

Rating from the Expert*: 9/10 stars. The only thing I think it needs is perhaps a full tomato instead of 1/2, but then again, I'm a tomato freak. Delicious nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment