Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 12: Veggie Beef Chili



I was craving something different and had a bunch of veggies to try to use up before they went into the moldy abyss, so I decided to slice, dice and throw them into the slow cooker. I ended up making a nice, lean healthy chili with organic ground beef, squash, corn, and celery.

Veggie Beef Chili
What you'll need:
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 medium zucchini squash
3 stalks celery
1 can Sweet Corn
1- 4oz can Tomato Paste
4 oz. Spaghetti Sauce
3 T. chili powder
2 T. basil
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
2 c water
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)

Lightly brown the beef in a skillet (don't overdo it or your meat will end up dry once it's been slow-cooked for hours). Next dice the celery, then slice squash into halves then making 1/4" slices. Throw the veggies and beef into the CrockPot with the tomato paste, (be sure to drain the corn). Add in 2 c of water and 4 oz. spaghetti sauce and mix well. Lastly, add in the chili powder, basil, garlic, pepper, and onion. Mix very well. Set the cooker to High for 2 hours. Check squash every so  often to ensure it is softening. Once squash is soft, but not so tender it falls apart, turn the cooker off.

Serve topped with the shredded cheese of your choice.


Ratings from the Experts*: Pending. I tasted last night just after cooking it and found it delightful, but until I eat a full dish, I'm going to hold off judgments. UPDATE: Hubby gave it a strong 8/10. He ate it all in fact... for lunches at work. I'm told it was good. I wouldn't know since I didn't get any. (Yes. That is a hint of sarcasm you're detecting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment